Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Library wins award


Fauquier County Public Library recently received word that it had won an award for "outstanding library facility."

The Virginia Public Library Directors Association (VPLDA) presented the award for renovations done to the library's John Barton Payne Building. The upstairs portion of the building, which was home to the Warrenton Library from 1924 through 1982, is now used for library programs and as a community hall.

Renovations, which were completed early in 2007, included refurbishing the interior, installing a rear stairway and a lift, and modifying the building to comply with American Disability Act (ADA) standards. The new stairway provides a second means of egress, which increased the building’s occupancy load from 50 to 100 people.


The building’s basement, home to The Friends of the Fauquier Library used book store The Book Cellar, underwent renovations as well, resulting in The Book Cellar's space doubling. Proceeds from The Book Cellar help support library programs, such as author visits, guest story tellers, summer reading programs, and other cultural events for children, teens, and adults.

Reservations for community use of the hall have increased steadily since the renovation. The gracefully columned building is an ideal community meeting hall and is an excellent venue for hosting a variety of events, including large meetings, conferences, retreats, receptions, and weddings.

The building is named after Judge John Barton Payne, a Fauquier native son who served as Secretary of the Interior under President Woodrow Wilson and was president of the American Red Cross for 14 years. Judge Payne donated funds in 1922 to build the first permanent home for the Warrenton Library, which is now located across the street on Winchester St.

Request a form to reserved the John Barton Payne community hall.