Monday, September 23, 2013

Can we talk about books?

I’ve belonged to one book club or another for much of my adult life. Truth be told, I reluctantly joined that first book club so many years ago, hesitant that it would match my reading taste and hectic commuter schedule. Had my husband not nudged and prodded, I probably would have never started going to the meetings.

Several book clubs later, I can say that every book club I have joined has had its own personality; some were serious, some opened my eyes to new authors, some led me to read books I would have never picked up otherwise. I enjoyed each of them.

Which book club is right for you?
 
Maybe you don't have a lot of time to read, or don’t know where to find a book club that will be a good fit for you and your reading interests. Where do you start?

Use the list below as your guide to the genre and meeting time/date to select the best book club for you. With so many options at your local library, you should be able to find one that works for you.
 
Great Books Club – meets at 7 p.m. the first Monday of each month at the Warrenton Library. They will be discussing The House with the Mezzanine by Anton Chekhov in October.

Adult Mystery Book Club – meets at noon the third Thursday of each month at the John Barton Payne Building. The group will be discussing Feast Day of Fools by James Lee Burke in October.

Bealeton Book Club – meets at 7:30 p.m., usually on the third Monday of each month at the Bealeton Library.  They will be discussing The Forgetting Tree by Tatjana Soli at their October meeting.


Marshall Book Club Meeting
Marshall Book Club - Afternoon  – meets at 1 p.m. the second Wednesday of each month at the John Marshall Library.  In October, they will be discussing The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.

Marshall Book Club - Evening – meets at 7 p.m., usually the last Monday of the month. They will be discussing The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar at their October meeting.


Marshall Book Club Annual Tea
Book clubs on the move!
Certainly talking about books is what these book clubs are all about – but sometimes that takes them outside the walls of the library.  Just this month, the Afternoon and Evening Marshall Book Clubs were on the move.

Trip to 2013 National Book Festival

The Marshall Afternoon Book Club's September meeting was their annual tea, where they enjoyed good company, wonderful treats and their favorite Nora Ephron works.  And this past weekend, a small group of Marshall Book Club members travelled to the National Book Festival in Washington, DC to explore the books and authors being celebrated during this annual event.


Still not ready to join?
If your still not convinced that a book club is right for you, but are looking for interesting books, you may be inspired by one of our book club’s reading lists. When I am perplexed as to what to read next, those lists are my first stop. Invariably I find at least one book that intrigues me or tempts me to venture outside my comfort zone.  If that fails, our Book Notes blog is a great resource where I can choose from “Read Alike” lists, Best Seller Lists or recommendations compiled by library staff for ideas and options.

If you have questions about any of the Fauquier County Public Library book clubs, call (540) 422-8500 to learn more.
 
I hope we will see you at the next meeting. Until then, happy reading!

Lisa @ the Fauquier County Public Library

To learn more about the Fauquier County Public Library's collection, events or programs, visit us on Facebook, Twitter or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment