What’s So Great About Book Clubs?
Several libraries, bookstores, coffee shops, and communities have regular book clubs. A book club can be facilitated by an organization or individuals who want to offer an opportunity for reading and discussing selections of various published works.
Choosing a viable meeting space and time are vital to a well-run club. Many offer refreshments and a quiet place for discussion. The selections may be chosen from different genres or based on specific interests, such as best-selling general fiction, mysteries, historical fiction, inspirational fiction, classic fiction, or nonfiction.
Publishers often provide a discussion guide in the back of a book that might be of interest to a book club. Several internet sites, such as LitLovers and Reading Group Guides also offer discussion guides, particularly for popular books and classics.
- It provides an opportunity to meet with interesting people who enjoy reading and discussing what they have read.
- You want to stretch your reading to new horizons – it is an opportunity to read and discuss a book you may not have chosen.
- You want to discover a new author (or new to you)
- You want to add reading to your busy schedule – at least you are reading one book this month!
- To get out of the house for some intellectual stimulation.
- To practice your communication skills, particularly if you are shy.
- If you are a writer, you may learn some new writing techniques!
- It is FREE and it is FUN!
What Can I Find at My Library?
Try out some books about Book Clubs, available at the library.
Please see our blog about this month's reading lists. Here is a list of all the Book Clubs and their reading lists offered at the Fauquier County Public Library. Come join us for some interesting reading and discussion!
Great Books Group (Warrenton)
Mystery Book Club (Warrenton)
Bealeton Book Club (Afternoon)
Bealeton Book Club (Evening)
Marshall Book Club (Afternoon)
Marshall Book Club (Evening)
Also see Fauquier County Public Library's read-alike blogs and staff recommendations for various genres.
Mary Sue @ the Fauquier County Public Library
To learn more about the Fauquier County Public Library's collection, events or programs, visit us on Facebook, Twitter (Kiddosphere twitter is here) or online.