Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Reading Fun for Adults

Okay, I'll fess up. I feel a pang of envy summer mornings as I race out the door while my children remain home to enjoy their summer break. Yes, I was young once and had the same luxury. And yes, I am fortunate to work in a great place with wonderful people, but I would still love to sleep late, go to the pool, hang out with my friends and enjoy the many other things that kids do during those blissful weeks when school is out. 

Another luxury of my childhood summers that I miss is having more time to read. As a child, I spent hours each summer traveling to far of places, meeting new people and having grand adventures, all within the pages of one book after another. It was one of my favorite things about summer! 


Luckily, summer reading - and the summer reading program hosted by local libraries - isn't just for kids! Part of the Fauquier County Public Library's summer reading program is for adults. While children are encouraged to Fizz Boom Read and teens can Spark a Reaction during the summer reading program, adults will enjoy Literary Elements

It's easy - and fun - to join. Simply pick up a Literary Elements game card at any Fauquier County Public Library location. Then complete five of the tasks on the game card (diverse tasks ranging from reading a mystery to liking our page on Facebook), fill out your name and contact information, and drop your completed game card off at any library location. Each time you complete five tasks on a game card, you can enter. 

Drawings are held throughout the summer for fun prizes (like passes to Great Meadow); the grand prize drawing will be held the week of August 10th for a Kindle Fire! 

If you are looking for ideas for summer reading, be sure to check out what they are reading in one of the many Fauquier County Public Library book clubsRead Alikes, or browse our many displays of staff picks, "beach reads" and other great books.

Game cards must be submitted by August 9. You must be 16 or older to enter. 

Good luck and happy reading! 

Lisa @ the Fauquier County Public Library 

To learn more about the Fauquier County Public Library's collection, events or programs, visit us on Facebook, Twitter (Kiddosphere twitter is here) or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment